samedi 9 juin 2007

Jardin botanique, Bordeaux

There are in fact two jardin botaniques in Bordeaux. I went to the first one the first day I was in Bordeaux, but later that week, I visited the one designed by Catherine Mosbach. Thank you Céline for giving me a place to stay those 4 days. The jardin botanique was an interesting place, I was surprised at its size, I was somehow under the impression that it was much larger, but in fact it is relatively small. However, it is an excellent park, with a range of spaces and uses. While I was there, there was a student field trip of some sort, and many kids were on a scavenger hunt for names of plants. There is a school nearby, which could explain why there were so many students there. I found it to be excellent, however, much of it is off limits to the public, which I don’t really understand. There are these areas in the centre of the park, where she has exposed soils (see picture) and installed plants from the various habitats. There are signs posted to not go up into it, and it would be pretty hard for some people to get up there anyways. While I think this is a good idea, what would be better, is to take these soils from all over France, and let it be, with the intention of seeing what nature does today. And by all means make a way so people can walk and be amongst it, since we are very much a part of nature now, and it would more useful if it was accessible.

Here are some photos:




The signs telling you to not walk on the metal paths are very hard to read, and they aren't really successful, given that people were walking out amongst the plants anyways. It isn't terribly dangerous either, the water is shallow, so I think these signs are a bit silly.








Area on the edge of the park, designed to be representative of the urban fringe.



I thought this was pretty cool, there were different trellis structures standing in space, with a corresponding plant beginning to climb its way up. Each plant was in a different stage of maturity.


Different islands corresponding to different habitats, it was interesting, the soils were exposed, and it gave a new perspective of plants. You are always looking up, its kind of annoying in a way, but the user is therefore involved in moving a bit, which I find to be a good thing. I just wish there was a way to get up in there, and be amongst the plants.



For your security and to preserve the environment, access is not permitted....Unfortunate if you ask me




This was closed during my visit, but is also part of the park, as a greenhouse.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil