vendredi 17 août 2007

Documenta, Kassel

Giant modern art show, once every 5 years in Kassel, Germany. For me, it was way out of scale, too huge, too much to see. An art overkill, for sure. I liked this first poppy flower field, however the different species were supposed to represent something, and I've forgotten. Many of the pieces in the various exhibits were in need of explanation, many things we as viewers were supposed to understand. How things are allusions to this or that, or how other objects represent some situation. I find this to be incredibly uninteresting, and sometimes completely ridiculous. For example, a red rope strung about was supposed to represent something to do with the struggle of women in Africa. First of all, how is this connection made without verbal explanation, and secondly, it is almost a travesty to represent something such as the incredible plight of women in Africa by a red rope strung about in an art gallery. I don't understand. Why is this here, why is it art? To me it lacks any form of pleasure or beauty. Beauty can be understood as aesthetically pleasing, but also if I feel moved in a way or if I am taken on a new path of thought, I find this to be beautiful. The path I followed over and over at Documenta was, "What the hell is that?" While this can be seen as an ignorant reaction, to me it is completely legitimate.













It was so good to see you guys again, I look forward to the next time we meet and eat together.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil