vendredi 17 août 2007

Memorial for the murdered Jews of Europe, Berlin

The 19,000 square-meter Memorial for the murdered Jews of Europe, which was opened to the public on May 12, 2005, consists of 2711 stones placed on sloping, uneven ground in an undulating wave-like pattern, in the heart of Berlin, just next to the Tiergarten.

What a place. You can get completely lost in this space, and become a bit scared of where you are or who you may run into. Flashes of skin and clothing appear and dissapear with a ghostlike quality. A powerful space; heavy, yet light and airy; where consistency is there, yet skewed. I was taken on an emotional and thoughtful ride, I'm not entirely sure where I went, however the journey was remarkable. I fully appreciate such spaces, where a visitor is moved into a different realm, yet each visitor's experience is totally different, and needs no explanation or anything further than just that. Well done, Mr. Eisenman. An interesting article on the cracks forming in the stones (in French)











1 commentaires:

À 2 avril 2008 à 21:16 , Anonymous Anonyme a dit...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil