lundi 11 juin 2007

Mobiles! Des jardins pour un monde en mouvement

Festival at Chaumont-sur-Loire

Totally awesome, probably one of the coolest things I’ve ever been to. 26 new gardens were made as a result of a competition, and ideas we have seen in studio to be ‘wacky’ were realized. This to me proves something I’ve found to be a major turnoff in design school. Kyle, Conor, and my projects were always different, and were often deemed to be ‘unfit’ for the real world, especially by practitioners (not by studio professors). I understand that I went to a festival based on a competition, however, these things were real, not just drawings, and everyone loved it. So why the hell don’t we do this type of work, in the ‘real’ world? It gets pushed aside so easily, and opportunity for unique experience is lost. I felt such a range of experience there, and I was nearly in tears the first go around from a rush of joy (is it ok to say that word?), it was incredible.

http://chaumont-jardins.com

I stayed in a lovely bed & breakfast on the banks of the Loire River, and had a host who was the nicest woman. She talked to me quite a bit about how much she liked the festival every year, and her guests too. During breakfast the second day, we talked more about it; I’ve decided that every minute I ever spent learning French has proved to be more than worth it. Being able to talk with her opened me up to a local’s perspective, and it’s a nice feeling conversing in a foreign language. By no means am I fluent, but I can hold a decent conversation now. I think I’ve found a new extremely strong interest in that I’d like to speak several languages, hopefully in the near future.


Bed & Breakfast


Chaumont-sur-Loire


Anyhow, here are some of my favorites (not all 26 were great, a few were kind of lame)

I dont have a picture of the description of this first one, but it is titled 'Du vent dans les voiles' and here is the english description off the website:
Did you ever dream that the sheets out drying in the garden, suddenly puffed up by the wind, would one day turn into sails and carry you up and away to enchanted lands? This simple movement of laundry in the wind inspired the creation of this garden.
Come rest and be rocked, cradled in these great swinging, swaying swaths of elastic cloth. The fabric acts as a seat, a bed, a trampoline or a swing, constantly reshaped. Just a push with your feet and you’re floating over an rural ocean of undulating grass, whisked away to new horizons…
The takeoff and the sweeping of the sails, echo the swish of the grass… Ah, to be in movement in the garden, to be the movement of the garden!
















This one was a super cool idea, but it was way too hard to move anything. The wheels were locked in one direction, and the panels barely could slide at all. If better mechanics had been worked out, this one would have been lots of fun.














I hope that at least one of you gets to go to this festival someday. If anyone wants, I can give the name & number of the b&b, I had a view of the Loire river and the castle every day. And it was pretty cheap, the breakfast was good as well.

1 commentaires:

À 11 juin 2007 à 08:08 , Blogger OSV a dit...

See please www.festivaldejardins.cm-pontedelima.pt. Enjoy.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil