vendredi 15 juin 2007

Schouwburgplein, Rotterdam

Plaza near the Rotterdam central train station, designed by West 8. I was just in passing in Rotterdam, but spent a few hours having lunch and wandering around Rotterdam. I found this space to be quite stimulating, and very well used. There is currently an installation called "Brandende Stad/Bloeiende Stad" (City on Fire/City in bloom)on display which was also designed by West 8. It is intended to make the flames of the Nazi bombing on May 14th, 1940 symbolically visible, and to remind visitors of the blossoming of Rotterdam following the war. It is quite beautiful, alive, and with imperfections, which I found to make it all the more interesting. Kyle informed me of the Project for Public Space's opinion on this square, see this article which is in fact on their 'hall of shame' list. Personally, I found it to be a fantastic space.









Taking a bath



Sequence of the light fixture's movement (subtle in photograph) after I pressed some buttons on the device. I couldn't read the digital screen, due to the light. I also barely speak a word of Dutch, which is proving to be a bit embarrasing while I am here.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Abonnement Publier les commentaires [Atom]

<< Accueil